How To Apply Stone Wall Clading Properly?
What’s next after chosen the type of stone cladding you desire? It’s installation process. Here’s our step by step guide for installation process from prepare your belongings until seeing the stone cladding on the wall perfectly!
First of all, please note to follow below steps thoroughly for long-lasting beauty of the exterior and interior yield.
Tools and Materials Required
- Hand Grinder
- Wide Mouth Nippers
- Pointing Gun
- Metal Stick
- Mason’s Towel
- Spirit Level
- Wheel Barrow
- Wood/Metal Strike Tool
- Tuck Pointer
- Electric Mortal Mixer
Note : Important for all materials to be stored in a dry and safe manner. Mortar should be coverd all of times.
Healthy And Safety
During the installation process,you have to wear some items for personal protective equipment for health and safety reasons as below :
- Steel Toecap Boots
- Hi Visibility Clothing
- Hard Hat
- Work Gloves
At the first of installation process, you can begin with the surface preparation.
- Apply two layers of a water-resistive barrier (WRB) from the bottom up smoothly, ensuring laps of the upper layer lower at least four inches. For your info, WRB is designed to prevent water from reaching building components that could be susceptible damaged by moisture. The usual WRB product are usually number 15 felt or Grade D for buidling paper.
- Apply horizontally for the corossion ressitant metal lath by using galvenized fasteners, penetrate the shillings and into the stud at least one inch. Make sure to hit each stud every 6 inches in the center vertically.
Install battens overlapping at least one inch.The surface will feel rough when you rub your hands, allowing the mortar to catch when applying the initial layer of the motor.
Ensuring to multiply the height and width of the area you want to be covered, it’s important to minimize the lack of stone wall cladding materials. Measuring the exact lengths and widths of your wall both other important elements to your measurement such as ventilation covers, door frames, or windows. It is important to note that the measurement must be made as accurate as possible.
- If you measure angular stones, you must measure linear meters from the external angles to be used including doors and windows that have angles.
- The total requires of mortar will be one bag per square metre of flat stone. Ensuring to multiply the linear meterage of corners by 0.3 to giviing some additional bags required for the corner stones. Please kindly to speak with our team to provide you regarding this mortal selection.
Grouting The Joints
- After the stones has been applied on the surface of walls, fill in the grout bags with mortar and the joint as well. Ensuring you already covered all parts damaged or cutting by mortar.
- Once the mortar joints has been dry, you can use a next tools like a wood or metal strike tool to push the mortar into a cavity and create seal around the stone.
- To prevent water or pests from settling between spaces, you can clean the edges with a tuck pointer
Finishing The Process And Cleaning
Clean thoroughly the wall using a mixture of water and detergent. Can use a bristle brush to do it. Finally, rinse again with fresh water for a perfect look